Transfer Requirements
When transferring from one school to another school within the United States, you must carefully follow certain procedures to maintain lawful F-1 status.

The start date at your new school must be within 5 months of your "transfer release" date in SEVIS or your program completion, whichever is earlier. For students authorized for post-completion OPT, the new program start date must be within 5 months of your SEVIS "transfer release" date or the end of the OPT authorization, whichever is earlier. If the period of time between programs is longer than 5 months, your SEVIS record does not need to be transferred. Your new school will issue a new initial I-20 and new SEVIS number.

You must currently be maintaining F-1 status.

If you have already graduated, you must be within your 60-day grace period.

International students who wish to transfer to the University of South Los Angeles from other institutions must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Students must be admitted to the university.
  • Submit a completed I-20 Application form available in the Office of Administration.
  • A current bank statement that shows proof of financial responsibility. (Bank statements must be translated to English. If shown in foreign currency, it will be converted based only on the rate as of the date of submission.)
  • Students who have sponsors must submit a completed the Affidavit of Financial Support form along with all the required supporting documents.
  • Submit a completed Notice of Intent to Transfer to University of South Los Angeles form.
  • Provide a copy of both sides of the student’s USCIS I-94 form.
  • Provide an endorsed copy of the student’s previous I-20 form.
  • Provide a clear legible copy of a valid passport with the full name, picture, and expiration date showing.
  • Transferring international students with dependents must complete the dependents section of the I-20 Application form and provide a clear legible copy of each dependent’s USCIS I-94 form (both sides) and valid passport with the full name, picture, and expiration date showing.
  • The student must report to the school (contact the new DSO) within 15 days of the program start date and register for classes.

To transfer from the University of South Los Angeles to another school in the U.S., You must notify the International Student Office before you transfer to another school in the U.S., and an F-1 student must notify the school he or she is attending of the intent to transfer and you must apply and be accepted to the new school. After your acceptance:

  • Submit a completed Transfer Out Request Form along with a copy of the admission offer letter or email or fax from your new school. The "transfer release" date is the date that University of South Los Angeles loses access to your SEVIS record and your new school gains access to your SEVIS record. The transfer release date is one business day after the end of finals week in your last quarter at University of South Los Angeles.
  • The transfer-out school controls the student’s SEVIS record until the transfer release date.[8 CFR 214.2(f)(8)(ii)(C)]
  • If classes are in session, he or she must attend classes and otherwise maintain status until the transfer release date.
  • Transfer Out Packet will be provided when you contact the Office of International Student.